Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Farewell to Canada

                    First Fall color -- north of Fredericton

Tomorrow I will cross the border for the last time and make my first visit to the state of Maine. I'm looking forward to making a "triumphant" return to my native land, but I'll never forget the friendly reception I've received north of the border. Canadians are much like Americans, but the differences are refreshing. I've learned a lot about being a better neighbor from my neighbors.

Typically, for me, the virus that struck a week or so ago is taking its time passing completely through my system. My lungs remain congested and I am forced to deal with a nagging cough. But my sore throat has healed and I have little trouble sleeping -- in fact, I've slept and slept and slept. Fortunately, I'm in an environment that provides quite and comfortable space for rest and recuperation.

The mornings and evenings are beginning to feel more and more like autumn and I'm excited about prospects of Fall colors during the next two weeks in New England. I may be two or three weeks ahead of the ideal time for a visit, but I'm counting on good fortune and am certain to have plenty of great photo ops as I make my way south through the eastern U.S.

I will not get any further from home than I am here in St John. I'm 2,821 miles from Merced, as the crow flies -- that's just over 3,500 highway miles. I've actually driven 9,623 miles since February 15 and will cover nearly as many more before I return home in January or February.

Some trip!

I have at least a half-dozen topics about which to write and hope that when I spend a bit less time sleeping, I'll do more writing.

Meanwhile, I've shipped quite a few new photos back from New Brunswick and Jesse should have them posted soon.

On to Maine in the morning!

1 comment:

Granny said...

Back online as of today and catching up.

Sorry you've been ill. By now presume you're in Maine.