Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Apart from the Main


Having never before been in the state of Maine and not having done any research about the place, I’m definitely unqualified to offer any conclusions or even educated comments about the place.

My reaction, after a few days “in country,” is positive. I like the people and the landscape appears largely untouched.

My next destination is Portland, Maine. It’s the states most populous city, but is smaller than Merced, California (less than 75,000 people). There are only a half-dozen or so cities with more than 20,000 souls. Maine is the least densely populated state east of the Mississippi and may well have the friendliest folks.

This is not what I expected. The word on the street has always been that Main residents are reserved and rather UN-friendly. I have found the opposite to be the case, particularly in the retirement community I’ve occupied most of the time I’ve been here.

Most of the people I’ve met speak with a delightful Maine accent – some more so than others. They seem to be quite curious and interested in my adventures and very eager to help me make plans for my time here.

Homes tend to be quite large – and they all have basements. California-style homes wouldn’t stand the harsh weather conditions, which not only include plenty of snow and cold temperatures, but powerful storms influenced by hurricanes and “nor’easterners.”

Large lots and detached garages (without basements) are common. In fact, many homes have multiple out buildings, some are quite large, perhaps dating back to farming days.

Maine is a long, long way from California and I know that it’s not likely that I’ll ever return. But I’d like to.

No comments: