Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Privacy? What's that?

“Hey! Rafe Rackstraw … Birdy!”

My cell phone sometimes reveals that I have missed a call – usually also providing a callback number. About half the time, I’m also alerted to new voicemail. Every caller is invited to leave voicemail; those who know me or who have something actually important to say tend to leave messages – I’m just as glad to have missed (or filtered out) the rest.

A “619” message (San Diego area code) had been received; I was intrigued. I’ve been getting some attention among former classmates from Hoover High – mostly thanks to a couple of fellows who are active online and are trying to keep us aging Cardinals connected.

The voice from my cell phone didn’t sound a bit familiar. This wasn’t one of the three people with whom I’ve spoken during the past twenty years or so…

“.... I’m throwing you a few niblets from the past,” the voice continued.

It was clearly a male voice and definitely went back farther than high school. “Birdy” was a nickname used for just three years to identify me. One Larry Mercer mispronounced my last name (“Burk-ey”) and immediately transformed it into the avian moniker.

Convinced that such a cognomen is literally for the birds – and not for a man of the world such as myself who was entering junior high school – I convinced all who attempted to reinstate the offending appellation to return my label to it’s original status.

The Rackstraw reference also pointed toward my pre-teen period, specifically to sixth grade where I assumed the personage of one Ralph (pronounced “RAFE” according to Mrs. Davis, our teacher and the director of H.M.S. Pinafore – my one and only experience as a thespian).

I got the lead in this production, I’m sure, because I was a bit of a teacher’s pet. Mrs. Davis liked me and must have been nervous about finding a student who could learn all of the lines. I was pretty much a nerd at the time – and, I suppose all through school (maybe all my life, who can say) – and I only tried out for the part to compete with Richard Burstein, my nemesis.

Richard was about a magnitude above me, in terms of I.Q. and, worse yet, worked a lot harder. He generally scored above me and got most of the nerd, or “smart kid” perquisites. I only remember winning the day three times: I was elected president of the Safety Patrol, I got the lead in Pinafore, and I got to give the “Farewell to Franklin” speech at graduation.

Anyway, I was pretty sure the phone call was from someone from Room 6 at Franklin Elementary in East San Diego. There were just 15 or 20 males in that group and I think I remember more than half – and would likely recognize the names of others.

Fortunately, as a male, it was unlikely that the caller’s name had changed, so I had a pretty high level of confidence that I’d be able to crack this nut. And I did, in fact, with just two quick detective moves.

First, I called the number that my phone had captured. There was nobody home, but it turns out that Kim – that’s right, the mystery caller was Kim Ward – has voicemail, too, and his greeting message listed first names for Kim, a wife and a couple of kids.

I then used a “reverse directory” search online and received confirmation. For some cash, I could have ordered all kinds of information – probably at least a couple of things that might make Kim feel suspect that I’m a psychic or big-time private eye.

But I settled for what I had found in just a few minutes and without any expense.

When the phone rang a couple of hours later, the display flashed his name and I coolly answered…

“Hello Kim Ward! It has been a long time.”

1 comment:

Granny said...

Nice going with the tracking.

I'm getting this mental image of you as the 6th grade "hero" of HMS Pinafore. I was finally sorting and finding a place for all my music videos today and ran across Pinafore (D'Oyly Carte production). I'd forgotten it was there. I'll watch it in the next day or so and think of you.