Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Monday, September 10, 2007

B - I - N - G - O


“Eye twenty-five,” she shouted. “Two, FIVE”

Fifteen pairs of eyes scanned thirty game cards arrayed in front of an intense group of players gathered around 8-foot tables.

“Eye, twenty-nine. Two, NINE”

No conversation interrupted the rhythmic cadence of calls. Players were focused on the three-step process that would be repeated until one of their number shouted “BINGO!”

Gee, fifty-three,” came the call. “Five, THREE.”

STEP ONE: Each player must decode the announcement. Seventy-five small wooden balls contain letter-number combinations. The balls are numbered one through 75 and are divided, consecutively into groups of 15.

Balls numbered one through 15 are all “Bee” balls; 16 to 30 are “Eyes;” 31 to 45 are labeled “Enn;” and so on. The unique value – the number – is repeated in sign-song fashion, giving players two chances to get it.

STEP TWO: With adrenaline pumping, players frantically search both cards for the current number. Though the five columns are consistent on each card, the order of the numbers below each column heading is random. Players must scan up and down each of two columns – most then re-scan to double-check.

STEP THREE: The third step is only performed later in the game. Players who are one square away from “Bingo” must determine whether they have won. This isn’t always a simple task as the winning configuration varies from a simple five-in-a-row to the time-consuming “black-our bingo” game.

Variations include the “Big Exx” and the “Border.”

Bingo isn’t my favorite pastime. In fact, I have played only once in the past thirty or forty years. I confess to having looked down a bit on those apparently simple-minded folks who play with such enthusiasm. But I now have a new respect for the game.

Like those addicted to crosswords or jigsaw puzzles, Bingo players use the game to keep their minds in tune. The process of accepting and processing input, taking appropriate action and communicating success is healthy. Bingo is problem-solving and requires alertness and attention to detail.

Whether playing for cash, prizes or fun, there is a reward for winners and the ever-present prospect of having “better luck next time” for the losers.

Bingo is OK with me.

But I do wish there was some way to put that dreary pattern of calls to music or to otherwise pep it up a bit.

        “EYE get tired of the repeated beat of numbers.”
        “GEE, is it ever tiresome. The rhythm stays with me for hours after the game has ended”
        “OH, I wish there were a way to vary that pattern.”
        “BEE careful, though, the ‘Bingo Vigilantes’ may attack if you mess with their game.”
        “ENN this lifetime, I doubt that things will change much, as far as Bingo is concerned.”

3 comments:

Granny said...

From one ocean to the other, Bingo never changes.

I haven't played in years (since San Francisco and Most Holy Redeemer Church to be exact) but I might start back. The best I can do is 4 cards though. Otherwise it turns into a job.

Wandering Dave said...

Special thanks to Vic Cole of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan for catching a math error in my original posting about Bingo.

I've corrected the misprint and removed the egg from my face.

It's SO MUCH better to publish electronically -- you can always do more editing after publication (when you become wiser -- thanks to friends like Vic)..

WD

Anonymous said...

I agree it never changes, no matter where you are! My grandparents play it and have done since they were young! And now my girlfriend drags me to her local club every sunday to play!