Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Friday, August 31, 2007

Summer’s almost gone

It looks like a gloomy end to summer here in New Brunswick. The weather has turned a bit cold with grey skies and intermittent rainfall.

I’m huddled in my room, steering clear of others in an effort to avoid spreading the crud that’s been working its way through my system for nearly a week, now.

This flu, or whatever, got serious on my third day in Quebec City – making that visit more strange and uncomfortable than ever. It moved from my head to my lungs on the day I drove here; some effective drugs kept me going and the trip was surprisingly smooth.

Yesterday, the disease continued its ruthless march and made me thankful that I haven’t had to travel over the past 48 hours – being very far from critical plumbing fixtures isn’t cool when one is in my current condition.

I’d be inclined to visit a doctor, but my carrier says I’m only covered for acute care while out of the U.S. and I guess I’ll wait until my condition feels more acute (whatever that feels like).

Labor Day weekend (Labour Day, as they say up here) is not my favorite holiday. When I was a student I always looked forward to the arrival of September; as a teacher, I lost most of my affection for the start of school.

My itinerary was changed and I’m now scheduled for 10 days here in Fredericton. I have been considering a foray into Nova Scotia and Prince Edwards Isle; but I’ll wait to see what happens, healthwise, and may end up using this extra time in one place for rest and recuperation.

It’s hard to be enthusiastic about the trip when your head feels like a watermelon and you have to rush to the bathroom every hour or so; so, I won’t pretend to be enjoying life on the road on this cloudy, cold, rainy, miserable Friday.

----------

Some lyrics to bring myself up out of a funk:

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you...
And the way you look tonight.

Yes you're lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fear apart...
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
It touches my foolish heart.

Lovely ... Never, ever change.
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it ?
'Cause I love you ... Just the way you look tonight.


("The Way You Look Tonight" is a song featured in the film Swing Time, which won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1936. It was written by Jerome Kern with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. Dorothy Fields later remarked that the melody, upon first hearing it, moved her to tears and she was thrilled to provide the lyrics: "The first time Jerry played that melody for me I had to leave the room because I started to cry. The release absolutely killed me. I couldn't stop, it was so beautiful.") -- Wikipedia

No comments: