Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Family ties


No I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away.


        -- Paul Simon, 1972

One item on my short agenda for this trek around the continent was to search for possible new landing zones. I’ve already lived in five states and 20 or so different cities.

Over the years, I’ve developed some criteria for the “perfect” home town; and it only made sense to keep my eyes open as I spend five days in each of about 70 communities and pass through literally hundreds more.

Having the opportunity to break bread with about 1,000 retirees, so far, has led me to a whole new perspective on my future, though – at least in terms of where I’ll most likely settle in my golden years.

A compelling number of folks I’ve met – perhaps more than 90 percent – are living within a short distance of one or more of their children and/or grandchildren. Many have been transplanted by their offspring, others have moved on their own volition – but the trend is nearly universal: older people definitely regress in the direction of their heirs.

Upon reflection, I’ve come to realize that this apparently natural desire to remain connected to family is a powerful force in my own being. I’m pretty sure, after giving the matter considerable thought, that I’m almost certain to settle near my son – and probably to move if and whenever he moves.

Over the past ten years or so, I’ve made a few attempts to engender a consensus among family members that would have resulted in a mass migration to a location of my choosing. I believe I’m nearly ready to give up such efforts and to become a follower.

In any event, the results of my informal, but rather extensive, survey have convinced me that, for most people, blood actually is thicker than water.

So, it seems likely that not too long after I stop wandering, I’ll be looking for new digs in the general vicinity of my beamish boy. That’s a prospect that makes me feel pretty good about the future.

Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if aught but death part thee and me.

        -- Ruth, to her mother-in-law

1 comment:

Granny said...

It makes all kinds of sense but I'll certainly miss you.