Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Monday, May 14, 2007

What a dump!


Life (here) is like sitting in the funeral parlor and waiting for the funeral to begin. No, it's like lying in a coffin and waiting for them to carry you out.

If I don't get out of here I'll die. If I don't get out of here I hope I die and burn.

       -- Bette Davis, "Beyond the Forest," 1949


It's official, my little old town of Merced, California has once again been declared one of the least livable spots in the good old U.S.A.

I'm still homesick, but knowing that I'm far away from California's not-so-great Central Valley provides some comfort.

Fortunately, Merced isn't last on the list of livable communities -- but each of the three that ranked lower are also located in the Valley. In fact, it's pretty easy to generalize that the whole darned place is barely habitable, according to the study.

The criteria include cost of living, clean air and potable water, healthcare, crime, jobs and education. Merced manged to score higher than bottom-feeder Modesto -- a larger city about 40 miles to the north, but not by much.

The good news is that the newest campus of the University of California opened a couple of years ago in Merced. Inevitably, scores for many of the criteria listed above will rise. Merced is destined to move up the list; how far may be determined by factors less influenced by the arrival of the UC, such as climate and environmental problems.

I moved to Merced because of the new university. I expected to observe a clash of cultures that would prove to be interesting. It seemed to me likely that the university would grab Merced by the ears and haul it into the 21st century very quickly, with lots of squealing and squawking, but invevitably transforming a bottom-ten town into a pick to click.

Davis, Irvine and other communities that now thrive and flourish under the shadow of UC campuss were the model and I couldn't forsee the possibility of any other outcome for Merced. I still don't.

But, I've learned that even rapid progress takes time. Merced will be transformed; but inertia is a powerful force and perceptions change slowly.

It's now apparent that the "pioneer" students and faculty whom I expected to populate the new campus are a pragmatic bunch. Many viewed Merced as an opportune stepping stone and have spent time in the wilderness paying dues that allow access to top-tier campuses along the coast.

It now seems evident that Merced and the university will both have to overcome their way-station status before becoming a final destination for large numbers of talented students, faculty and others.

The university constitutes a tide that will raise all elements of the Merced community, but that tide is rising slowly. It ebbs and flows. Enrollment at the university is far lower than was hoped and just 75 students will receive degrees this year.

In my travels, I'll pass by several cities that ranked far above Merced. Cities I've visited here in Alberta Canada would likely rank fairly high based on the criteria.

When I do get back home, I wonder if Merced will be a welcome sight or if it will appear dingy and dismal -- a city deserving of bottom-ranking.

Come along with me
to my little corner of the world
Dream a little dream
in my little corner of the world
You'll soon forget
that there's any other place

       -- Yo la Tengo

3 comments:

Granny said...

I've lived in worse places that didn't make the list but I couldn't disagree with their findings.

At least we beat Modesto.

Anonymous said...

Did you submit your site at blogsearch.sg?

You can reach blogsearch by just typing blogsearch.sg in your browser window or click here

This is a service by bizleadsnet directory of web logs.

Wandering Dave said...

Thanks, Ash.

site submitted