Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Monday, May 07, 2007

A total disconnect


Even on the road, a person has to find a comfort zone. And in the 21st century, that includes communication lifelines.

Though I called ahead, my lodgings weren’t ready when I arrived in Red Deer. I’m as far north as I’ve ever been and, nice as the folks around here are, in a foreign country. Now, I‘m relegated to a motel along the main highway. Alone in a big room with two huge beds and all of the amenities I might expect in a typical corporate establishment of its kind.

But I normally dine with dozens of friendly people. And as I’ve moved farther from home, the folks I meet have become more curious about my trip and mealtimes have become increasingly enjoyable. With a hundred or so gathered for meals, conversation is easy to come by; but last night, I dined alone.

The Internet is a big part of each day. When I’m in my room, I stay connected much of the time and look forward to the periodic musical alert that announces the arrival of email or the alarm signal alerting me to an appointment.

Isolated from the physical surroundings that have remained a constant even as I’ve traveled some 4,000 miles, I huddled last night beside my digital lifeline. When I dozed off, my laptop was still connected to the ‘net.

Accustomed to waking in strange surroundings, I took a few seconds to get my bearings early this morning. I intended to take advantage of the motel’s free Continental Breakfast, but first, I moved to the keyboard to check email and see what had transpired overnight.

The Internet connection was broken, a common occurrence, so I clicked the refresh button.

No connection.

This, too, is a fairly common event. I removed the modem from the side of my computer and then reinserted it – this reset the device, a procedure that often brought the connection back to life.

No connection

I removed the modem again and rebooted my laptop. This measure had never failed to put the stars aback in alighment and restore communications.

No connection.

Hours later, I remain unconnected. I’ve probably made a score of attempts, moving the machine from one side of my motel room to the other and trying everything I can think of to remedy the problem.

I’m outside my comfort zone and in a strange land. But wanderers must be prepared for adversity; modern wanderers may face digital hurdles along with the rest.

As I write this, I remain out of touch – at least from my laptop while it isn’t connected to a landline. But the world has changed and just as I was quickly moved from one set of lodgings to another, I’ll find my way to some kind of node and will be back online in time to post this message and reconnect with the world.

And once I become one with the Internet again, I suspect that I’ll find a solution to whatever set of rogue electrons is keeping me from linking up wirelessly. Before I leave Red Deer, I fully expect to be digitally whole again.

Stand by.

5 comments:

Granny said...

Standing by. My net's been down almost every morning for an hour or so and then sometimes in the late afternoon. Strange.

I'm having lunch with Janet tomorrow. She sends a friendly hello.

nagles said...

When we get disconnected from the Net we get just a hint of what a drug addict or an alcoholic must feel! We hope the time is short or the DTs not too bad!

Are you in the facility now?? Or when will you be able to get into the guest room?

Julie and Chuck

nagles said...

We should have mentioned that as a resident in one Holiday facility, that you are entitled to free meals in another facility even though you are not staying in the guest room, so you can enjoy a meal with fellow-residents when you want!!

Wandering Dave said...

Yes, I had a couple of meals at "home" during my period of exile.

I'm safely ensconced in the guest room here in Red Deer, now, and back in the comfort zone.

nagles said...

So glad you are again back among "family" in the Holiday facilties. Today is Thursday, 10 May 2007, so the evening meal should be a Hearty Meatloaf Sandwich--in every facility from Hawaii to Iowa to England [not to suggest that England is one of the United States!], from Edmonton to ElPaso!! Here's to Gracious Dining!!

Julie and Chuck

[For those not familiar with the Holiday Retirement setup, Holiday has a central Food Service office in Oregon. Out of this office comes a new menu every quarter and every one of the 300+ facilities around the world follow this menu--or are greatly encouraged to do so. This is part of an organized effort by the company to bargain with the food distributors and to keep food costs lower which leads to keeping rents lower and happier residents!!]