Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Friday, May 25, 2007

The price of fame


     People here in Moose Jaw are crazy about me.

     I've been getting the royal treatment, including a private audience with the mayor and special introductions to the crème-de-la-crème of Moose Jaw society (most of whom, it turns out, live right here at Mulberry Estates).

     Don't let me be over modest; I've always known that I'm loveable. I just never thought I'd find a group of folks with enough intelligence and good taste to recognize the goodness in me.

     Here, they laugh at my jokes, they welcome me at the dinner table, they teach me their games and other Moose Jaw-ian customs and they even allow me to deliver my long-and-boring pitch aboutf the Internet.

     And most amazing of all, they somehow arranged for my last day in town to include plenty of sunshine and a delightful concert to end the day.

     Moose Jaw is on Highway 1 which is the major east-west artery. Those arriving from the north -- Saskatoon, for example -- need to exit Highway 16 about 12 miles north of town and come in on highway 2.

     Trust me, it's worth the short detour. Skipping Moose Jaw while in Saskatchewan is like driving though Oz without stopping in the Emerald City.

     I'm scheduled to leave in the morning. But I'm a little worried that my new-found friends may let the air out of my tires overnight and force me to stay.

     And I'm even more worried that they won't.

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way
Can't wait to look in the mirror
I get better looking each day

To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
But I'm doing the best that I can

      -- Mac Davis, 1980

1 comment:

Granny said...

Shame you couldn't hang around a few more days.

I'll have to find out more about Moose Jaw.