Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Road weary?



Yesterday morning found me in Calgary under an overcast sky that delivered a cold drizzle just as I was forcing myself to venture forth, as a good tourist should, to see the sights.

For the first time I considered turning back and giving up my plan to circumnavigate the United States.

I’d come 4000 miles in 12 weeks, spending 5 days in each of 15 towns. I’d written thousands of words, taken hundreds of photos and even produced over an hour of audio.

Though determining who was visiting this WanderingDave.com website, its obvious that a significant number of people have dropped by, for one reason or another.


The biggest problem may still be that – despite my rather frequent and perhaps somewhat wild-eyed claims to the contrary – the trip and this web site have no clear purpose or mission.

It occurred to me at one point that my venture is like “The Seinfeld Show” – a show about nothing.

My desire to establish a theme interferes with my writing. While waiting for topics that seem to fit the unknown pattern, I pass on others that I fear may turn some audience members off.

Basically, I’m trying to write for an audience that I haven’t been able to define. And that is a real problem for writers like me.

It’s fair to say that I’ve spent way too much time thinking about writing and way too little actually creating prose.

This piece, titled “road weary?” may begin a transition of some kind. For the next interval – of undetermined length – I will strive to create a more straightforward representation of what’s going through my mind. My travels will certainly continue to provide a context, but I will work less hard on creating a travelogue and more on my “search for America” – or, as I’ll probably discuss here soon, “the search for MY American dream.”

I hope you’ll decide to continue riding along with me – and that you’ll consider providing some feedback either by commenting here, by using the forum or by email.

6 comments:

Granny said...

I hope you continue your trip unless you're hating every minute of it by now.

Feedback from me doesn't really count, I suppose. I'd be here regardless.

~~Silk said...

(Lurker via Bloglines here.) In my humble opinion, you shouldn't worry about writing for a specific audience unless you're trying to sell it. It's more "real" if you write for yourself, anyway. Write what you think, feel, what you will want to remember five years from now. In that, you will find your real America, and take us along.

Wandering Dave said...

Thanks for the feedback, Silk. Good timing, too.

I don't know about writing for myself and putting THAT online.

I think I'm hoping for more of a conversation with some readers. But I'm not real interested in "atta boy" or "ROFL" feedback -- I'm looking for coments that provoke more thought.

Which is what you've done. Thanks again.

~~Silk said...

You're welcome.

Dan Hanosh said...

Dave

Don't give in to the sense of lack of purpose . . . You have one, it just may not have raised its form to you yet. Keep traveling and writing and we'll follow.

Dan Hanosh
Dreams are yours to share

Wandering Dave said...

Hey you strong, silent types (read: lurkers)!

Thanks for both the audible and other vibes sent my way during a period of self doubt.

I'm re-energized and rededicated to the trip and my media experiment.

I'm also feeling empowered to open up a bit more and to bring my messages more into congruence with my values and beliefs.

On to Red Deer as the adventure continues.