Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

True to mine own self


With less than 200 hours remaining before pointing the Saturn north and beginning my trip of a lifetime, it finally became imperative that a decision be made about Wandering Dave.
Who is Wandering Dave?
Ah, that is the question. Am I Wandering Dave, or do I just play him on the Internet? Is he a real person, or a creation designed for the marketplace?
In other words, when it comes to the Wandering Dave project, are the media the message... or is there another message or purpose that transcends the process of communicating?
It hasn't proved to be a simple question. As I've studied the media and their audiences, I've discovered that the most popular messages tend to be the least substantive and vice-versa.
American Idol (30+ million viewers), Deal or No Deal (17 million), and SpongeBob SquarePants (about 4 million every night Monday through Friday) outdraw news and educational programming and offer empirical evidence to support my theory.
Making Wandering Dave a loveable little fat man who rather awkwardly makes his way from place to place while meeting interesting, but always nice and uncontroversial folks would increase chances of attracting and holding a larger audience.
Making people a bit uncomfortable by challenging tradition and community standards is not the best way to create a large following.
After considerable thought and consultation with people I respect, I've made my choice. I'm saying "farewell" to any chance of capturing a mass audience seeking escape or titillation.
My public writing career began with four words: "I kind of clash." Wandering Dave, like his creator, will tend to wonder -- aloud -- why things can't be changed for the better.
In seven days, Wandering Dave and I will be on the road; we'll be traveling together in tight quarters for a year. We have finally had a meeting of the minds and I think we'll get along just fine.
And I hope you'll ride along with us at WanderingDave.com.

No comments: