Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Home again in a strange new town


While sitting in the lobby following a delicious dinner (featuring baked salmon, rice, salad, vegetables, dessert and both hot and cold beverages), it occurred to me that I may have discovered the very best possible method of travel.

Because I reside in a facility owned by a huge corporation, I have travel privileges that allow me to stay free at other company-owned facilities throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Oh, and meals like the healthy and hearty one I’m now digesting are included at no charge.

Many of these facilities were built according to variations on a single theme. That means when I drive into the parking lot, I already know where to enter and how to locate the managers to get my room key. I don’t need a guide to find my room, or the dining room or other amenities including library, game room, computer lab and activity room.

I have been greeted with friendly enthusiasm at each of the seven facilities I’ve visited to date (just two, of course, on the current trip), and have felt immediately at home and at ease.

In fact, since I suffer a bit from back pain while on the road or while sleeping in a strange bed, I’ve actually left my room a few times in pre-dawn hours still dressed in my bed clothes and have sat quietly in an easy chair or at the end of a comfortable couch while the pain eased a bit.

When I moved into my home facility ten months ago, I was told about the company philosophy. “This is your home,” said my guides.

As we toured the facility, I jokingly asked, “Is this my big-screen television? And “Is this my computer lab?”

In both cases, I was assured that I had full access to all of the technology and other amenities. That I could have family and friends visit and only needed to notify the managers if I needed special accommodations.

Hot coffee is available 24 hours a day as are cold drinks and fruit. The facility is filled and surrounded by comfortable furniture. Residents are allowed, even encouraged to keep pets and are often seen walking them around the lovely grounds.

My point? Well, the feeling of being at home seems to be very transportable. I have no concerns about security or safety and have discovered that residents are curious about me and my trip and make me feel very welcome and comfortable.

I can spend as much time as I wish in conversation with others; conversely, I can stay in my room – they will even bring meals to me if I’m feeling a bit under the weather.

Imagine. Room service! And tipping is strictly forbidden.

Staying five days in each facility is beginning to seem like too little time. I’m meeting dozens of new people each week and would enjoy getting to know them better – but time flies and I must be on my way.

It’s nice to know that I’ll be back home again on Saturday. This time back home in Reno.

1 comment:

Granny said...

I see Chuck has surfaced. I need to drop by and say hi to him.

Headed on my own journey - to Barnes & Noble. I'm going through Dave and Ann withdrawal.