Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Moving right along...

        Tomorrow, after a leisurely breakfast, I will steer the Saturn toward the rising sun, passing the scene of the accident that got things off to such a positive start, and then turn north once again onto Highway 99. I’ll be enroute to my second destination: Auburn, CA.
        I’ve enjoyed my time here, but am eager to move on. Auburn is the county seat of Placer and its history is tied to the gold rush. The word “placer” may come from Spanish, meaning “sand bank.” Thus, a “placer mine” is located in the bends of rivers, in hollows, in sand dunes and in other locations where sand is deposited by water.
        I’m expecting opportunities for photos of old buildings; but I’m also hoping for the unexpected – deposits of the kind of gold I’m seeking that will inform me about the people and culture in ways most tourists don’t see.
        I’ll be keeping my eyes open and hope to have plenty to report as I continue this adventure.
        Tomorrow is Day Six!
        So far, so good.

No comments: