Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Snow Day!

White roofs, a sugary dusting of plants and ground and tiny specks of white lazily drifting earthward greeted me a few minutes ago when I raised the blinds from my cozy third-floor room.

I'm overlooking a sort of inclined courtyard whose major feature is a rocky riverbed. Water isn't flowing at present, not because of freezing, but it's obviously intended for erosion control during heavy rains and this tiny amount of snowfall will most likely either soak into the earth or evaporate in place.

Crossing Donner Pass yesterday, I saw lots more of the white stuff -- trees were laden with it and occasionally let go of clumps that landed with "plops' I could almost hear from inside my noisy Saturnl. Drifts were deep and tightly packed banks of snow sometimes towered over me featuring Grand Canyon-like strata indicating "geologic eras" representing the successive passage of snow plows over past weeks.

My own little layer will likely be gone later today -- current forecasts indicate that daytime temperatures will be too high for this fragile layer of 32-degree H2O.

Not enough for a snowman -- it would even be hard to scrape up a decent snowball. "But this is my first snow in a number of years and that makes it significant.

To those readers who will see no snow in their flatlanders' towns and cities I say -- "too bad for you."

Reno is lovely under a sheet veil of white lace.

I'm having a great time; wish you were here.

2 comments:

Granny said...

I wish I were too although snow is not something I long for.

Granny said...

Just gave you another plug on the blog now that you're enroute.