Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bookworm






The Andy Hardy movies didn’t tell it “like it is.” They told it the way we’d like it to be, describing an ideal that needs constant reinvention.
        -- Mickey Rooney

I am who I am, in large part, because real people like Howard Pease, Ted Geisel, Robert Lawson, E.B. White, D.J. Watkins-Pitchford, Ann Weil, Madeleine L'Engle, Robert McCloskey, Ellen MacGregor and Beverly Cleary introduced me to fictional First Mate Tod Moran; Horton the Elephant; Amos the Mouse; Charlotte the Spider; British gnomes Dodder, Baldmoney, Cloudberry and Sneezewort; Michele Pagano from the Isle of Capri; Meg Murray; Homer Price; Miss Pickerell; sisters Beezus and Ramona; and a many more imaginary beings that influenced me between age 6 and 12.

I’ve wondered why my mind seems to be constantly filled with thoughts – why I’m never able to turn it off and think of … nothing. Perhaps it’s partly due to the way I started – with books, books and more books.

I was constantly in trouble, both at home and school, for reading at the wrong times. My main transgression at home was reading after bedtime. I had permission to read for a half hour, but chapters never seemed to end on that half hour – and the end of one chapter inexorably drew me on to the next.

At school, I either hid my current title inside a textbook, or tucked it in the cubby under my desktop. I kept up pretty well with schoolwork, but I discovered multi-tasking long before Bill Gates introduced Windows.

Though I have tended to shortchange classic literature, I did graduate into adult fiction and became an avid movie-watcher. Films produced during the golden age of movies included hundreds of “B” pictures and many of these found their way onto television just when I had free hours to take them in.

As I created the list of examples offered above, I was struck by how few details I can recall from all of that reading. I have only a basic sense of the general story line and of characters, but not many specific recollections.

It’s sort of a “love ‘em and leave ‘em” approach to literature, I guess. I wish I could quote chapter and verse from my favorites – or even give credit where it’s due more often when I’m stealing ideas from others.

I’m so happy to be living in the Internet age. I’m able to pull a few words out of my jumbled brain and punch them into Google™ Or YouTube™ and, presto!, I can find the source, sometimes full text or video clips.

The “real” world hasn’t escaped my attention. In fact, I may spend more time on current events than I should. Hopefully, those countless hours of reading and exploring have provided a counterbalance against reality.

No comments: