Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Saturday, December 22, 2007

All I want…


So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

        -- John Lennon, 1971

Christmas is coming and I have a cold. It’s my second attack in five months; maybe life among the seniors isn’t as safe as I thought.

I’m a terrible, big baby when I’m sick. It’s just as well, I suppose, that I’m not around anyone who cares and, thus, not able to inflict my pain and suffering on others when the focus should be comfort and joy.

A blow by blow (forgive me) account of the onset of disease could go here, but I’ll not burden my readers with the details. Suffice it to say that it’s a rather mild case and I’m hopeful (perhaps not realistically so) for a recovery in time for Christmas Day.

I had hoped to attend some basketball games while here in Odessa. Maybe I’ll find a post-Christmas tournament in El Paso – I know basketball is very popular there.

Meanwhile, I’ve slept at least 30 of the 40 hours I’ve been in Odessa. I’m on the 7th floor, so I do get a sense of the city – at least the northern view from here – which is pretty much downtown. I enjoyed a tremendous sunrise yesterday. Today’s was a bit disappointing in comparison, but still featured bright orange skies.

The county library is across the street. When I saw it, I hoped I’d get over for a visit. Maybe they’ll be open on Christmas Eve and I’ll feel up to it.

Well, few topics are of less interest than the minor complaints of others. I’ve noticed that when the stubbed toe is on someone else’s foot, it never seems like much of a problem – in fact, it sometimes is an object of mirth.

No comments: