Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hoops

Straddling mid-court, about five feet inside the line, I tried to widen my focus to include all ten players. My partner was concentrating on the jumpers only; and even more so on the toss. He needed to put the ball higher than either player could reach, but not so high as to ruin the timing of a fair jump.

“White to the right. White to the right, White to the right.”

I had a lot on my mind. Did each player wait for the ball to be touched before contacting an opponent? Who was the last to touch the ball? Did one jumper foul the other with his or her body?

I was even responsible for deciding whether my colleague’s toss was acceptable. If I felt one player gained an advantage because of a lopsided toss, it was my duty to blow my whistle and order a re-toss.

Though I gripped my own whistle between my teeth, my partner’s was hanging from its lanyard. One never knew when an errant elbow or other body part might come in contact with the official. Teeth were most definitely at risk. Some refs try to protect their mouth with the upraised tossing arm; but most of us opted to let the whistle dangle, or to hold it in the free hand.

My partner would be caught in traffic following the toss, so it was my job to get out in front of the team that gained possession. There was no time to figure things out after the ball was in play, so I always locked one alternative in my mind. If the white team didn’t control the ball, I simply ran left; otherwise, it was “White to the right.”

Administering time outs, fouls and free throws, out of bounds plays and other game circumstances each had their own choreography for us “zebras.” Players quickly recognize the skill level of their opponents; basketball officials immediately know whether their colleagues know their job.

Though I never played interscholastic basketball – I was a poor player even in gym class, I was a pretty good official. I worked hard at it and by the end of the game I was as tired as most of the players.

Over about a fifteen year period, I officiated hundreds of basketball games and many dozens of football contests. I also enforced baseball, softball, volleyball, and track and field rules along with many contests and competitions in a range of activities.

In memory, basketball remains my favorite. It was the first; I made more money doing basketball; it is quite personal – the players, coaches and crowd members are all very nearby; the action is continuous and often rather frantic.

The role of the officials is rather paradoxical: if they do their job well, they’ll have no impact on the outcome (other than by enforcing rules designed to keep either team from gaining an unfair advantage).

It takes a thick skin to be a sports official. I believe baseball umpires have it worst as there is a tradition of open antagonism – including screaming in one’s face, kicking dirt and otherwise demonstrating disapproval in dramatic fashion.

Basketball rules are more specific – players, coaches and others are prohibited from disrespectfully addressing officials, from attempting to influence their decisions and from displaying disapproval or disagreement to an official’s decision.

Much of my experience was with men’s leagues. In that setting, I loved calling the “T” (technical foul); but I usually limited its use to early in the game. A well-placed sportsmanship penalty in the first few minutes of play usually established the fact that my decisions were not subject to approval by the players.

“I promise not to take any shots, make any rebounds or give advice to the players; and I expect you to leave the officiating to me and my colleague,” I announced during the pre-game meeting with team captains.

When a disagreement arose, I listened attentively to any complaints that were presented politely and when the ball wasn’t in play. My most frequent response was, “if it happened the way you say it did, I made a mistake. But I didn’t see it that way. Let’s play basketball.”

I have dozens of basketball stories to tell. I love the game and and there’s no seat in the arena that comes close to offering the view enjoyed by the officials. Sportsmanship didn’t always prevail; but there are few human enterprises that I’ve enjoyed more than being part of a well-played and well-officiated basketball game.

“[TWEEET! TWEET! TWEEET! TWEET!]

Oh! No, three four! You got him, right on the arm.

[I turn to face the scorer’s table]

“I’ve got THREE, FOUR red … on the arm. We’re shooting TWO!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not anonymous...I am chuck.
I have always said, "Basketball is a game played by the referees"
The players dribble and shoot and he referees count the number of steps between ball bounces and note whether player a was standing still when player b dribbled up to him.
Anyway basketball is the silliest game in the world. The basket OUGHT to be twenty five feet in the air, so that shots mean more than who can jump higher than the basket and stuff the ball through a hoop.

Granny said...

Once upon a time basketball players weren't 7 feet tall so the height of the hoop made sense.

My only quarrel with basketball is that in most games you can ignore all but the last 30 seconds (which seem to last forever). Or maybe I haven't give it enough of a chance.

Wandering Dave said...

Chuck,
I respectfully beg to differ. Basketball is NOT the silliest game in the world. CURLING is a far more silly game than basketball.
BOB: Say, Fred, let's go slide rocks across the ice.
FRED: Great idea. I'll bring along a couple of brooms so Pete and I can sweep snow out of the way as the rocks slide along.
PETE: I'm in. We have so much fun up here in Canada; I hope winter never ends.