Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The best laid plans…




I imagine that every major undertaking turns out to be quite different from what those involved had originally planned or expected. That is certainly the case for this year-long adventure of mine.

I envisioned a growing audience – actually multiple audiences – who would monitor my travels by way of one or more media channels. I expected to become a mobile media mogul whose empire would.

In retrospect, it’s clear that I had become caught up in McLuhan’s theory that “the medium is the message.” Of course, he was exaggerating and having a compelling story is still a prerequisite for gathering and maintaining an audience.

I also failed to recognize that the folks I would be contacting most often (senior citizens) tend to not be regular users of the internet.

I had envisioned making visits to colleges and local media outlets, but discovered that my story was only compelling while I still believed in the “growing-audience” theory. When the audience showed no signs of growing over the long term, I became less comfortable promoting the web site.

During the first month or so online participation grew rapidly. But it declined rather precipitously after that initial surge. It rose to new heights in the third month only to fall again – even lower than before.

Ups and downs over the past few months seem to indicate that folks visit the site but quickly lose interest. There are very few “regulars.”

The best indicator that the technology is beyond my target audience is the nearly complete lack of participation in the forum – which I thought would be the most interesting, dynamic and useful media channel.

Even the travel partner messages – sent to 45 people – haven’t seemed to result in a bounce in the Wandering Dave ratings.

But good news has diminished any sense of failure on my part. The trip has morphed into a wonderful experience that still has to do with communication – INTERPERSONAL communication.

I have had a chance to spend time with about 1,200 members of my parent’s generation – the folks Tom Brokaw calls “the greatest generation.”

At least an hour-long conversation with groups of three of fewer – not in-depth, but often enough for me to gain insights and to make observations that have been revealing and instructive.

I’ve had hours-long one-on-one conversations with a number of people. On more than one occasion I’ve been told stories they say they haven’t ever shared before.

I’ve seen a lot of sights; but sight-seeing hasn’t been my major source of satisfaction. I’ve written over 100 blog entries, but I don’t think my writing to date has done justice to the experience. I’ve learned a lot about history and very much enjoy exploring the past…

But the most rich part of this adventure has been my encounters with people. I have often changed my plans for the morning or afternoon because a breakfast of lunch companion was willing to extend our conversation – sometimes by hours. I rarely get out of the dining room before the kitchen staff arrive to clear the table. And once in a while, I meet someone whom I know could become a very good friend – like my best buddy, Frank, back in Merced – if I were moving in rather than passing through.

So, I have a message for those who have noticed that I’ve abandoned some of the media channels on the Wandering Dave menu or who note that my blog and photo entries are often spaced rather far apart: my adventure has shifted focus a bit, but I’m doing fine. I am unconcerned about what’s been abandoned along the way and am very pleased with what’s been found that wasn’t expected.

And, despite my having admitted a change in focus, you are STILL invited to ride along with me as I continue this great adventure.

2 comments:

Granny said...

I noticed when I check out the forum and journal that not much had been happening lately.

I was talking about you briefly on the blog yesterday.

Glad you're enjoying the experience even if it didn't go along with your original plans.

Anonymous said...

Reading the Blog is still the best way to keep in touch. I will do that regularly, now that the comuter is back. And if your goals have changed...so be it. But what will you do when yu get back to Merced? Retire? Hmm... I doubt it.
Chuck