Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Peak experience


When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

        -- Jiminy Crickett

“I’m going to Disneyland!”

That four-word phrase has become a standard at the end of Super Bowl games when there’s been no recent “costume malfunction” and when the MVP of that venerable game has not been an accused murderer.

As a fairly typical American who made his first visit to the park about a half-century ago at the perfect age and during the right time in history – the idea of Disneyland is powerful.

In fact, that idea is so powerful that even the most gross and greed-driven efforts by corporate functionaries to translate every single bit of the magic into an enhancement of the bottom line can’t destroy the Disney experience for me.

Before the Disneyland there were already Disney characters…

Walt Disney was one of the most powerful influences on me and millions like me. He was the kind of combination of entrepreneur and creative genius that has given us so many of our most useful, amazing and enriching “things” – be they products, services, programs or events.

Born at the turn of the century and raised in the Midwest, “Uncle Walt” absorbed the set of values that became known as “the American way.” Creating art—particularly cartoons – was an almost daily part of his life from school days onward.

Making steady progress toward fame and fortune, Disney hit the big time in the mid-’30s with “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” Typically, he invested much more money than experts of the day thought prudent in the enterprise and it turned out to be much more successful than even he hoped.

"I don't make pictures just to make money. I make money to make more pictures,” he said. That same logic seemed to be applied to Disney attractions until Walt’s death at the end of 1966.

The first generation affected by Disney was caught up in the Great Depression and then in World War II. Those unhappy contexts surely had a lot to do with how fantasy operated in their lives.

But my group (Baby Boomers) came to know Disney in a whole new age – the post-war, growing economy, focus on family, fantastic FIFTIES!!

Those who first saw movies like “Pinocchio,” “Dumbo” and “Bambi” during the depression or war years might well have wondered whether dreams really do come true or even if good conquers evil; but during the ‘50s it was easy to imagine that happy endings are not only possible, but predictable – almost certain.

There’s certainly a difference in expectations between one who had to endure years of strife that must have seemed to be without end (particularly for children) and those who came onto the scene after the struggle had ended and things got better.

In a world where real evil had recently been conquered, it was easy to accept fantastic worlds where imaginary bad guys always lost out and nobody got hurt in the process.

And so, I grew up not only with Mickey, Daffy, Goofy and dozens of other animated good guys, but with idealized (though also rather “sanitized?”) historic and imaginary heroes of the past like Davy Crockett, Zorro, Elfego Baca, the Swamp Fox and more. These, to a very significant extent, were my mentors, teachers and role models.

Of course, my life contained many other stimuli. I also learned from movies that clarified the horrors of war. I had perceptive parents who helped me see that the world is not perfect and that progress requires work and sacrifice.

But I believe I have Walt Disney to thank for not becoming a cynic, for not giving up hope and for not giving in to the dark side.

About six hours into my visit to Disney World yesterday, I experienced a surprising emotional response while watching a performance by familiar Disney on the steps of Sleeping Beauty’s castle.

It was standard Disney fare: quite joyful and emphasizing the power of dreams (as in the message from “Cinderella”: “A dream is a wish your heart makes”). Several villains, including Captain Hook and the evil queen of Snow White fame, were vanquished in a little drama; and good conquered evil – as usual.

I stood in the crowd and was surprised when familiar but unexpected emotions swept over me. For the first time in my life, the Disney magic backfired and I wept – right in the center of the happiest place on earth.

And THAT has given me something to think about. I can hardly wait to read what I write in my NEXT blog entry. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Granny said...

So many of the younger parents condemn Disney these days. Somewhere along the line, they lost their sense of wonder.

I can pick the movies apart too now that I'm an adult but I still go back and watch them.