Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Am I talking to myself here?


Is anybody there? Does anybody care?
Does anybody see what I see?
I see fireworks! I see the pageant and
Pomp and parade
I hear the bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Americans - all Americans
Free forever more

        -- Sherman Edwards, 1776, 1969

Hello!

Hello, out there…

… it’s me, in here.

I know you’re there; but you never SAY anything.

Will somebody please say something?

Hello!

For years I’ve been telling everyone I can that the Internet is the biggest and best thing to happen to communications since language. That’s right, LANGUAGE -- not the printing press or television or even the alphabet.

Advances like those other contenders made the mass media possible. But the traditional mass media had a significant flaw: it was a one-to-many proposition. The only people who could reach the mass audiences were those rich enough to afford a press or broadcast studio.

But the internet changed all of that. Suddenly, the communication became one-to-many-AND-many-to-many. Every Tom, Dick and Harriet is now able to compete with those rich folks for the attention of mass audiences.

Here’s how it works…

Somebody composes a message and puts it out in a format similar to this blog entry. By using the Internet – which is effectively free – this first communicator’s output is immediately available to any of the hundreds of millions of folks able to get to a connected terminal.

But these recipients can now click on the word “comments” at the bottom of the original message and, PRESTO, their reply is now available to the same audience.

That’s right, when somebody thinks an internet writer is full of baloney, they can tell her so – and tell all of the other readers at the same time.

Now, what could be more democratic than that?

And yet… And yet…

Though the database indicates that people are coming by this Wandering Dave site – and one would think some of you must be actually reading what I’m laying out here – very few of you are clicking on “comment” and letting me (and the rest of the audience) know what your 2 cents worth is.

It’s lonely out here on the road, my friends. So, how about letting me know just how far off base I am with some of the crazy ideas I share with you all? All you need do is click on the word “comments” and you’re in control of the message.

That’s right – it’s just below this paragraph. Do you see it? Now, CLICK it!!

7 comments:

nagles said...

We're here, reading and following. Sometimes to respond the way we would like takes a long time to think through and compose [we've started several responses] and if and when we finish our "rough draft" you are miles down the road. We're not sure that comments on the blog that are days late are read. We notice comments at the forum are highlighted when they are new and it is much easier to keep track of those comments and replies.

We've been busy, too, with trips to the ER and Dr. for Julie's Mom, trips home to Spokane for mail, family and friends, grandson's high school graduation, new great-grandchild that has been balking at "coming through the door" and "into the room" with the rest of us. Life seems to get hectic no matter how hard we try to "simplify!"

Anyway, have no fear, "some bodies" here.

Keep on truckin' [literally and on the 'net],

The Nagles

nagles said...

"CLICK it or ticket???"

Granny said...

I'm here but somehow I don't think it was I you were addressing. Or was it?

Okay, so I'm a day late.

Wandering Dave said...

Thanks for the comments...

I know it's unwise to beg for feedback -- it makes your loyal friends feel guilty and lowers your image in the eyes of others.

After more than 100 days on the road, though, I have moments of weakness.

Though I realize that the creation of this record is inherently valuable ... to ME, the fact that it's available to a larger audience creates the potential for an exciting dialogue.

Recognizing how busy folks are and how many options they have, I know I should be satisfied to see that the site is getting traffic.

And I am -- Kinda.

In fact, I'm honored by the fact that once in a while someone lets me know that my humble offerings have added a little to part of their day.

So, keep those cards and letters coming in. But if you don't, I'll keep plugging away...

Granny said...

The blogging community has a "formal" begging for comments week called "national delurking week".

We all beg then.

And many of us beg in between.

You're not alone. Posting and commenting has slowed down all over the blogosphere according to my online friends. They're saying, "where the heck is everybody"?

It's more apt to pick up in the lousy weather when we're housebound.

~~Silk said...

I'm here, sitting in the back seat, and like a good little backseat rider, I'm quiet.

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of us following this blog. I, for one, often just read it and go on. But that does not mean I don't enjoy it. Keep plugging and we'll try to be more responsive.