Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Friday, March 09, 2007

The sun did not shine...


No doubt long-term Eugene residents consider this morning’s drizzle to be no more than a common nuisance, but Wandering Dave hails from the southwest, where rain is as rare as jackalope sightings and rain “gear” is limited to an umbrella or two that are usually relegated to the floor of a closet and can’t be found when there actually is precipitation.

“Normal” rainfall in San Diego is about 10 inches. While I was growing up and forming my weather expectations, we received less than 10 inches most years – rain just wasn’t a factor.

Here in Eugene, the average precipitation expectation is just over 50 inches. The record is more than 75 and even the driest years see totals three or more times greater than those in Southern California.

Just as the Tule fog which can be very perseverant in the Central Valley and the June Gloom that tends to obscure southern California mornings can tend to bring one down, they and the Oregon rain can also have a calming effect.

Taken in the proper spirit, rainy, foggy and otherwise gloomy weather can actually be considered a respite (though many look at things the opposite way as in: “respite from the storm.”)

Sitting in a warm room (a fire can add even more to the experience) in a comfortable seat and looking up from time to time from a book or nap to see that the storm is continuing while all remains well here inside where we are safe and sound creates a good feeling – perhaps it’s a celebration of human beings’ conquest of the elements.

A fireplace awaits me downstairs; so I’ll go enjoy the rest of this rainy Oregon morning with a book in front of a blazing fire.

2 comments:

Wandering Dave said...

I gotta pace myself, Chuck!

Yesterday I drove to the coast and back, enjoying a full day's dose of Oregon; and tomorrow I'm spending time at the University and its environs.

By the way, you COULD sit by a fire in Merced, but mine was an Oregonian fire with a view out the window you can't share without being here. It's ironic how much being here makes the experience seem special.

I think of a year-long trip as a lifestyle, not a race. I'm spending 20 days in Oregon and by the end of that time I'm hoping to "get" it -- to the extent possible.

Another approach might be to try to "do" Oregon, to get as many miles/people/venues/experiences notches as possible onto my gun. But that's not going to be my trip -- not that there's anything wrong with the frenetic approach if that's your thing.

But, I don't think that I'm necessarily wasting opportunities -- I'm just focusing on being as much as on doing.

I'm happy to be traveling alone because I can stop and watch the grass grow (or stare into a fire) whenever it catches my fancy. The best moments on this trip may come during such quiet times of introspection and passive interaction with new surroundings.

Different stroke for different folks. Irony aside, the best way to maximize benefits is to be responsive to ones own unique needs and interests.

Thanks for the prompt, Chuck. I want to get that maximum benefit and it helps to take time to consider the best way to get it. I'm hoping to become more "out there" as the weather warms and (I'm hoping) as I become a bit more fit.

There's a little evidence that progress is being made on both of those fronts -- though I'm more confident about the changing seasons than about my ability to increase my strength and stamina.

Regardless of what I see and do along the way, I'm hoping to end this adventure happier, healthier and -- hopefully -- wiser than I started.

Keep riding along, my friend.

Granny said...

To be totally trite as is my wont, it's not a bad idea to stop and smell the roses (or enjoy the fire).

When are you planning on your seafood dinner?