Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Power to podcast proves elusive

Since returning from the Southland with my new laptop, I've been struggling to assemble the rest of the equipment needed to create podcasts and radio spots.

That process proved much more challenging and time-consuming than I expected. When I sought help, I discovered only two extreme categories of help-providers: those that knew way more than I think I ever need to know but who can't bring their explanations down to my level of ignorance; and those who are pretty much in the dark, as I am -- or, hopefully, as I was.

My first failure was deciding that I needed a “mixer” when what I needed was a "preamp." A couple of trips to Radio Shack -- including purchases and returns -- followed by a rather interesting and enjoyable visit to a nearby pawn shop got me what I needed at a pretty good price.

Cables became the new problem and I finally managed to cobble adapters together and found a way to transfer input from both my new microphone and my cassette recorder into the computer.

And what have I learned from this?

Well, one thing I've learned is that I have neither the ear nor the brainpower to become a sound engineer or electronics expert. My output will hopefully be of acceptable quality; but it won't rival that created by real professionals.

But the other thing I discovered while seeking help is that this process of assembling audio messages and then disseminating them using only personal computers -- in my case, a laptop -- is part of a brave new world of personal mass media.

Personal mass media? I may have just coined that phrase; but I think it may hold up. Individuals with limited resources are suddenly able to transmit information to diverse audiences through several channels -- including podcasts and radio spots.

Even as I make my way around the country next year, hundreds, thousands, perhaps even millions of “amateurs” world wide will be learning to use one or more new channels and will add their voices and messages to the mix.

“Mass” media is being redefined in the 21st century. To many of us, the result is a cacophony of nearly random noise; but new audiences will emerge with new skills for selecting channels and filtering messages. The new media moguls may be “mini-media-moguls” like me, working out of their bedrooms and their cars.

And to think I have been able to enter two of the seven channels I’ll be using by buying a new laptop online and then making three trips to Radio Shack and one to a pawnshop.

Meanwhile, Jesse is making amazing progress with the Wandering Dave sites and I'm committed to filling all seven channels with new material every week from now through the end of the trip.

Stay tuned.

No comments: