Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Monday, December 18, 2006

Heading south

My first shakedown cruise begins Friday.

I'll be making a fairly typical "hop" -- about 170 miles straight down Highway 99 to Bakersfield. I will be able to have breakfast here at home, extending holiday wishes to my neighbors; and then I can leave before the Friday-before-Christmas traffic builds too much and make my way south -- perhaps stopping for lunch in Fresno or Delano.

I'll arrive in plenty of time to learn the lay of the land. Though check-in isn't scheduled until 4 p.m., I'll have little luggage and public facilities are available for freshening up after the drive.

Weather permitting, I may take a stroll around the neighborhood; if the weather is extra nice, perhaps I'll take a short drive -- to the Kern River Park. This historic venue attracted people by the hundreds back in the Roaring Twenties, featuring a big amusement park

The Depression and changing times led to the slow demise of the park. After WWII, the owners slowly sold off the rides to keep their heads above water and eventually the site evolved into its current status: a great communty resource for picnics, fisuhing, enjoying wildlife and just getting away for a family outing or -- in my case -- a chance to commune with nature in the middle of a 300-mile trip to Los Angeles County for Christmas.

If the weather and timing are both right, I could drive a few miles up river and around to the east shore of Lake Ming. The web-site description of this man-made lake suggests that sunset might be worth seeing:

"Hills surround the lake, and the Greenhorn Mts. stretch along the eastern horizon. From a hilltop picnic ground overlooking the lake, the view is soul-stirring."

Web searches will provide lots of ideas like these for points of interest that are well-known to area residents but a bit off the beaten path for tourists. But I'm hoping that visitors to the Wandering Dave sites will also contribute ideas for places to go -- and particularly for events to attend and people to meet.

On the eve of Christmas Eve (Saturday), I'll head on down the the Southland and a few days with family. This outing will even include a 200-mile side-trip to sunny (hopefully) San Diego, the city of my youth where I'll connect with my mother and more.

The trek home will begin on the 27th with another stopover in Bakersfield (another sunset?) on the rebound.

I'll be taking three of these shakedown tours before casting off all lines and beginning my "year before the steering wheel." Next stops: Antioch and Santa Rosa.

Join the fun, drop me a line, post a message in the forum or make a comment here on the blog. Remember, it's your trip, too -- if you'd like to ride along as a virtual passenger.

No comments: