Go to: WanderingDave.com | Blog | Forum | Maps | Photos | Podcast

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Out like Flint


Broken windows and empty hallways
A pale dead moon in the sky streaked with gray
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today
        -- Randy Newman

At 7:05 this morning, the sun appeared in the eastern sky beyond the city of Flint Michigan. This, despite the fact that the golden orb had actually cleared the horizon some 54 minutes earlier.

From my third-floor perch several miles west of the city center, I endured 90 minutes of gray and gloomy skies between twilight and the time the sun finally climbed high enough to peek over a curtain of clouds that promises to keep sunshine from hitting downtown much before noon.

Does the sun hate Flint, or is it merely indifferent – as are most of the residents I’ve asked about their hometown? It will be “light” for more than 15 hours today, but the outlook is for continuous cloud cover, possible showers and near-certain boredom.

“Tell me something interesting about Flint.”

I’ve made that request of several folks over the past 40 hours.

“Well, it’s where I live…”

Believe it or not, some version of this reply is the most prevalent response, so far.

Home to about 125,000 souls, Flint is one of the oldest towns in Michigan. Traders began settling here near the beginning of the 19th century. A burgeoning lumber industry set the stage for the carriage trade…

No, I don’t mean high-end stores that cater to folks rich enough to drive carriages to market; I’m talking about factories that built actual carriages.

Later, when the horseless carriage was introduced, folks out here had the smarts to recognize that the times were a-changin’ and they made the transition to motor cars.

Flint thrived for decades, but has been in decline for a half-century. For a combination of reasons, the city has lost ground and people.

According to the most recent information I have obtained, the city’s tallest building now sits empty – a rather dramatic indicator of trouble in Flint City…

Needless to say, I’m not considering a move to Flint. But there actually is cause for hope, if not optimism.

First of all, the town has a rich history of success and of community spirit and activism. There are many artifacts of those better times that enhance the quality of life. There are plenty of libraries and other cultural centers; there are many sports teams and outlets for amateur athletes; the city has a fundamentally good public transportation system; the mass media are numerous and have a strong tradition; and the people tend to be well educated and knowledgeable.

No, I’m not going to move to or invest in Flint, Michigan. But an hour after my pessimistic prediction that the sun would not soon shine on this city there are signs that the skies are clearing and that this may be a beautiful day to explore Fabulous Flint, Michigan.

Who knows, I might just find something wonderful amid the rust and dust and dried tears.

Worst case scenario: I’m outta here in three days!

2 comments:

Granny said...

I can't think of Flint without thinking of Michael Moore and "Roger and Me".

Hadn't heard much since that film. I'm glad the city is experiencing an upswing.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, Flint is a town that has a lot of heart and swagger to it, despite the economic degradation that has befallen it. I grew up there and wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything. But it is rough to see it in its present state. The people you talk to may just be worn down by everything that's happened there, including the loss of 80,000 jobs. For more on Flint, try
http://flintexpats.blogspot.com/